- Carefully Crafted, Speciality Coffee -
- From Kenya to Ireland -
- The history of Baobab is important to us as we feel it gives us a unique approach on the way we run things around here -
- The Early Years -
Baobab has quite literally been over 20 years in the making. Sunny Kenya is where Baobab's founders, Alex and Luigi, grew up. It is where they learned about the world through many different cultural backgrounds, from Arabic speaking ex-patriots to European descent, all living and working together in the beautiful mosaic that is Kenya. From this, an ability to openly work and talk with many people from many different backgrounds was developed.
Open and passionate is how we like to think of ourselves. It is what makes us unique.
Importantly, Kenya is where they were exposed to and learned about one of its biggest exports:
- Coffee -
- Learning Coffee -
- Coffee is a sociable brew, and we'd like to keep that social tradition alive and well. -
We began to learn about the complexities of Kenya's coffee market very early on.
The challenges faced by the farmers, wash stations, coffee brokers
and exporters and what it took to get Kenya's coffee to market.
We began to roast coffee with our friends and neighbours. Luigi, had his first coffee roasting experience at the age of 4. An Ethiopian lady, a close family friend, taught Luigi the Ethiopian Coffee Ceremony. At first we roasted out of pure curiosity, then to pursue a roast that would get us some great tasting coffee at home
- The tools we used became more complex, the methods we used also became more complex -
- The rest, as they say, is history -
- Creating Our Roast Works -
In 2012 the concept of Baobab was birthed and in 2014 Baobab was open to create a roast works focused on:
- The quality, complexity, and taste of our coffee roasts -
- Bringing something unique to the Irish Market -
- The relationships we build with the people to whom we supply our coffee and work with -
Our Roast Works was created to focus on roasting the finest Speciality Coffees
and providing an outstanding service to those that wish to join the Baobab Family.
"We become not a melting pot, but a beautiful mosaic.
Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams"
- Jimmy Carter -